Spring has sprung in Texas and that means warmer days and longer (not necessarily cooler) nights! With the kids growing up so fast, I’m a big fan of taking family pictures as often as possible. We’ve been lucky enough to find the best of the best when it comes to family photographers- Candice with Heaven & Honey Photography! We’ve been using her for the past few years and I can’t emphasize how important it is to find someone whose style you trust and also makes the process as easy and seamless as possible!
As happy as we all try to look in them, lets be real for a sec. Family pictures can be STRESS.FUL. Am I right?! So when it comes to what we’re wearing, there are a few simple rules I try to stick to eliminate some of the added stress:
- Keep it simple and timeless. I’m as much a fan of the current trends as the next girl, but save those looks for date night or dinner out with your girlfriends. It’ll save you from looking back in a few years and saying, “What in the world were we wearing?!”.
- Stick to 2-3 colors max. Anything more than that gets a little too busy and confusing to the eye. In this case I tried to keep it pretty neutral because I knew the background would be so colorful.
- Fit is EVERYTHING! Trust me when I say this! As I blog more and more this won’t be the last time you hear me preach about it. It makes SUCH a huge difference in the way you look and feel, and if you’re clothes don’t fit correctly it will definitely show in pictures. If you’re in Houston, ask me about the best tailor I’ve ever found!
- Mix textures! This is probably my favorite hack. I love mixing texturing, as opposed to mixing patterns, for added visual interest. For this shoot I went with classic linen, demin, and cotton. For winter shoots I love throwing in a fur or embellished element!
- Lastly, but something I’ve learned the hard way, make sure you’re all dressing for the same season! This may seem like an obvious tip, but here in Texas where it’s always hot it’s easy to forget and throw your daughter in a fur parka because it’s supposed to be a “winter” theme and your husband in shorts (side eye to my family Christmas pics one year).
Me: Maven West Ruffle Lattice Top (here– ON SALE!), Paige Genevieve Flare in Ultra White (here), Dee Keller Wedge (old, but similar here & here), Luxe by Virtue Jewelry (avail. at Paix a Vous in Mandeville, LA)
Beau: Gap Kids Classic Oxford Shirt in Blue Opal (here), Crewcuts Boys’ Gramercy Short in Stone (here), Sperry Billfish Alt. Closure Boat Shoe (here), Janie and Jack Leather Belt in Dark Brown (here– ON SALE!)
Thanks for reading y’all! I’d love to hear your tips for styling a family photo shoot! How do you choose what your family wears? Let me know!!